Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bedroom Remodel

My sweet DH and I have been busy over the past couple of weeks.

It all started when I told DH that I was bored with the way the house is decorated and would really like to scrap everything and start over. I know most people would probably cringe at that idea but since most of my decor comes from garage sales and thrift stores I'll basically be coming out even by selling it in my own sale. I think as the years go by that my taste for home decor is starting to change and the things I used to like just don't suit my taste anymore.

So we decided to get ready to hold a huge garage sale the second weekend of April. So for two weeks I've been decluttering and piling stuff up to get ready. This pile of items has actually tripled since I took this photo and has actually taken over the living room.



We've been working on remodeling our home a little at a time since we got married 10 years ago. So far we've completed a bathroom remodel and have been slowly working on some of the other rooms. So while sorting through the master bedroom yesterday my sweet DH decided that since he had a few days off we should go ahead and remodel the master bedroom. Who would have knew the surprises we had in store. Since we moved in there has always been this ugly duck paneling on the back wall along with an air conditioner actually stuck into the wall instead of a window. We've always wanted to jerk the air conditioner out and get rid of the paneling so yesterday we got started. As you can see our bedroom looks like a tornado ripped through it and made a big mess. Even the poor nightstands became a catch-all. First thing we did was to trash the old waterbed headboard and start ripping down paneling.



What we found behind the paneling would make anybody cringe with fear.



We started out trying to use bleach to get it all out but ultimately decided to rip it all out and put all new drywall up.



Much better :)

Today we start the painting and decorating and I can't wait to share the final results. Actually if you look closely you can actually see a sneak peak of the color we're using painted on the right side of the drywall.

In all this craziness and chaos we did find time to stop at one garage sale though. As you may remember from earlier posts DH has a cousin who buys storage lockers that haven't been paid for and then resells the contents. If you watch Storage Wars on A&E then you know exactly what I'm talking about. She has her sales once a month and we usually go check them out. So when we heard she was having one last week we couldn't resist. The pickings were slim this time but I did manage to find a nice wallet for $1.



Until next time . . .

ThriftyAnnabella

1 comment:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow you never know whats behind paneling. Glad you replaced the drywall, all that mold was terrible. I'm hoping the color is that nice sage green? Can't wait to see more. hugs, Linda